Tuesday, May 15, 2012

No Sew Dog Bed Cover

So I bought this fabric from my local discount fabric store for $8.99 a yard wanting to make a new cover for Miller's bed. I got 1 and 1/2 yards of fabric just to make sure.  Before we had an ugly poop brown dog bed we got at home goods for $20. I had been covering it with a blue blanket to make it a little less ugly.



I was so excited to make an envelope pillow cover to cover the ugly bed so I went straight home to start my sewing. One problem... My sewing machine was acting up. I spent probably a good hour or two taking the thing apart trying to figure it out. But I couldn't. I'm not exactly the patient type so I printed out some coupons and headed to JoAnns. I found some Stich Witchery for $6.99 for 13 yards.



I decided to get two since I had a 40% coupon thinking I could use the rest for something else. Well turns out JoAnns takes competitors coupons and I had a 40% Hobby Lobby coupon with me as well! JACKPOT!

I got home and plugged in my iron.  I followed the direction for the Stich Witchery which says to place a damp cloth over the fabric and press the hot iron on for 10 seconds without sliding.

To make an envelope pillow case is probably the easiest thing ever.  Being as impatient as I am, its my go to for pillow cases.  In the end, it looks like this on the backside...



I took Miller's bed and placed it on the fabric.  I made the cover a little longer than the bed is because I also wanted to stuff a blanket in there to give it some extra cushion.  I made sure that the fabric was a little more than twice as wide as the bed.  I cut the fabric to the appropriate size.

I then ironed the hem for the "envelope" part to make sure the edges were neat.  I then placed the stitch witchery in between the pieces of fabric and began ironing.


I was pleasantly surprised how well the Stitch Witchery worked!!!  After I finished the two hems, I folded the fabric in half (wrong side out) and made sure the two hemmed edges were overlapping at least 2 inches and pinned the sides.  You can kind of see the overlapping here... I need to take better pictures.



I then placed the Stitch Witchery between the two pieces on fabric and began ironing.


Once both sides were done I waited for it too cool off and then turned it right side out.  I then took Miller's bed, some old pillows and a blanket and stuffed them inside.


ALL DONE!
 Miller got in the way....

Apparently he wanted to be in the picture!

Well there we go! It probably took me all of 30min to make.  Here's the breakdown...

1 and 1/2 yards of fabric: $8.99 a yard, 1 and 1/2 yard = about $14
Stitch Witchery: 2 for $4.20 for 13 yards (40% Joanns coupon and 40% Hobby Lobby coupon) 
Total: about $18.20

Not too shabby! A friend's Mom said she would embroider his name on it so that the next step!  This is also perfect because when it gets dirty or you are crazy like me and wash everything constantly, it is easy to just unstuff and throw in the machine!

Update: I'm thinking about getting some velcro or snaps to close the back better.  Normally with small throw pillows its not needed but since this is so big, it doesn't stay closed very well.  I'll let you know what I decide to do!

1 comment: